Saturday 11 March 2017

HOME AUTOMATION: OpenHAB2 on the Raspberry Pi 3

After spending a bunch of time messing with the Pine64 getting it up and running and installing OpenHAB2, I accidentally unplugged power while the device was on and it caused my installation to no longer boot :-( This is not the first time some minor error has cause my device to stop booting but it's going to be the last, I'm moving to a Rapsberry Pi 3.

While the Raspberry Pi is not immune to this type of issue, I already use a Raspberry Pi 1 and have lost power while the system is up over 100 times and I've only ever corrupted one SD card over the last four years. I realise this is not something I can guarantee, but the Pine64 has been nothing but a hassle since it was delivered.


Installing OpenHAB2

Instead of going through the pain of a manual install and configuration of OpenHAB like I had to with my Pine64 I've decided to go with OpenHABian. This image is supposed to be a self configuring installation of OpenHAB on the Raspberry Pi.

As usual I didn't bother to read the instructions and so decided that something must be wrong with the installation when it didn't respond to SSH connection request after I turned it on. I found out the hard way that it takes around 45 minutes for first boot! Not what I was expecting. Once I let it run through the first boot procedure I was able to SSH in with:
    username: openhabian
    password: openhabian

Once the image has booted for the first time I ran the script:
 sudo openhabian-config  

From here I installed all of the packages required for OpenHAB, including OpenHAB2!

OpenHABian on the RPi 3

Bluetooth

By default the bluetooth does not work on the OpenHABian minimal installation, if you try to scan for bluetooth adapters you will get errors like "no default adapter".

I was able to enable the bluetooth on the Raspberry Pi 3 doing the following:
 openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez blueman  
 openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ sudo reboot  
 openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ hcitool dev  
 Devices:  
     hci0  B8:27:EB:15:64:58  

No comments:

Post a Comment